May 3, 2014

Three Appetizers and a Main Dish

Golly, I just have so much to say that we better sit down for a full course dinner here.

 

Appetizer #1 


The joy seems to have settled into my bones. Last night, I noticed how absolutely thrilled I was when Himself came home from work. Just that very thing...that the weekend begins with the sun still in the sky and the grounds deliriously green, that he walks into the kitchen, gives the dogs their treats, and gives me a kiss hello. (Just the fact that is not the other way around is enough to elicit gratitude, no?)

I felt a little weak in the knees when I saw him. I told him that lately, our lives have been so simple and peaceful yet full of merriment and all-around good cheer that I feel, well, like I have a boyfriend. His brow furrowed a bit in distress. Then his eyes opened. "Oh. Am I the boyfriend?" 

 

Appetizer #2


I turned the bright new fabric from Kaffe Fassett and friends at the shop into a little baby quilt called "Playland."
Pattern and fabric pack available at Gloriouscolor.com
I listened to The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, while designing, sewing, unsewing, and resewing this baby. The reader of this first-person saga is remarkable and the story is just perfect for hearing rather than reading because it most definitely is a long tale.  Also, Boy Alone in the World is an unnerving proposition at times and I know I would want to leaf ahead just to make sure all will be well and thus ruin the experience. This way, I have to sweat it out, meaning I probably am losing weight, right?

 

Appetizer #3


Speaking of audiobooks, see if your libraries carry "Overdrive," which brings audiobooks or even e books to you for absolutely free. I love this way of not having to buy books I know I will never read more than once and also, getting someone to tell me a story at the same time.

The Main Course

 

Ok, the entree is for me, to document process. No, sillies, you don't have to leave.

A few days ago, I wanted to do some hand stitching but felt rather clueless. Perhaps to give the rods and cones in my eyes some respite from the colors of Playland, I just started working in neutral grays and off-whites,on a little 8 x 10 inch scrap.
This felt right, so I looked in my shelves for a background for it. I tried all the usual culprits and then found this, a printed fabric from Marcia Derse called "Calendar."
And that turned into this.
I thought I was making a garden but when I moved it into its new neighborhood, it turned into a house in a village. The supporting structure of the print was very rich in possibility but I kept stumbling into the body of an elephant two rows above my house. So what else to do with an elephant body but bring it to life?
With that, all the other printed shapes started making noises. I grabbed my handy box of pairings that I learned to make from Jude and suddenly, I landed on Noah's Ark for Singles. Single beasts, that is.
Ms Pac Man

The Wizard of Id?
I know this is from some childhood cartoon, someone help me remember
Identity TBD

So this is how it looks at the moment.
I'm ready to stitch for real now and it helps me to remember that sometimes, its the proverbial long and winding road to find that space.

Ok, who wants dessert?

9 comments:

  1. Let me try this comment again: Who wants dessert? I do, I do, and what I want for dessert are more photos of your garden. Dirt always reminds me of chocolate and I do love chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little bits of sugar snap peas popped up yesterday and the onions planted last week are still alive. The lettuce, bak choy and radishes also just popped up so all in all, not too much to photograph...remember, you South by Southwest lady, our frost date is May 15th so most stuff is not in the ground.

    Should I take a picture of a Hershey bar??

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a delicious repast, look froward to the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie. I love that you have kaffe and jude styles going on at same time. so do i . sometimes i think i am Not Allowed to be in both realms at once, yet of course we can embrace the whole of it . non dualism baby ! i am starting kaffes wedding snowballs quilt .and also continuing and continually enamoured of the what iffing. i love your beasts appearing too. lindamorris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda.I know exactly what you mean about straddling two different worlds and I wrote it about last year, see if you can dig up a post on the sidebar called "The Importance of Being And." Good luck w/the snowball, that's a big one.

      Delete
    2. oh yes okay great i found it. feb 5.2013. i thank you earnestly for your words.

      Delete
  5. oh yes and meant to say, that i love 'Playland' , esp those glorious colour strips of deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are. Try as I might to work in subtle palettes, I always end up on the way way bright side!

      Delete