December 17, 2015

Eat, Pray, Sit

The first day looked like this.

Those italicized words are Jewish prayer services: morning, afternoon, night

You get the picture. And you probably get why my last meditation on the end of the first day involved an elaborate plan for escaping to a nearby bed and breakfast and spending three days in the craft shops and swell restaurants dotting the gentrified villages of the Hudson River Valley.

My higher self prevailed. I stuck it out, only to wake to a second day that had the rip-roaring zip of the first.
But something happened somewhere in the midst of all that sitting. A heart began to crack open, a soul began to reach out...and by the end of the next two days (see above: meditate, eat, pray, repeat), I...I...I am having so much trouble finding the right words.

Well, actually, I know the right words. They just sound stupid.

I see differently.

I will share more as soon as I take the final exam: figuring out how to upload photos from my phone onto my computer without throwing the phone against the wall or eating the entire box of Christmas cookies Himself brought home from the office.


10 comments:

  1. I do love the total honesty and open-heartedness of this. Looking forward to more ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years, I am finding it great fun to be honest!

      Delete
  2. It is easy to understand the endless busyness of our lives when confronted with a schedule such as this. I always find it daunting to be left with only my inner self...just being with no doing to reassure me of my worth and importance. It has always been illuminating though, and I'm glad it was for you also. I, too, am looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daunting, unbelievably daunting, at first. And then it became like fuel that I craved.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Doesn't seem so, it is weird how your soul will find what it needs when you let it.

      Delete
  4. sitting. just Sitting. Walking. Just Walking.
    Silence.
    days of this.
    i am touched so deeply to know you did this
    Take your time in the Telling.
    Big Love....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our teachers were all rabbis who have spent years training with Buddhist meditation teachers. They pointed out how it seemed so right to take these sitting traditions that the Buddhists have mastered for centuries and embed them in our own traditions, where so much resonates for so many of us.

      Talk about the world as one.

      Delete
  5. was thinking about you this morning during the morning walk, wandering how the retreat had gone, and here you are sharing your journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. wondering, not wandering, although each walk is both

    ReplyDelete